Monday, May 16, 2011

Row, row, row your boat....across the Pacific!

It’s officially guest post exchange day with the WordCount’s blogathon, but I didn’t reach out to anyone to exchange posts with today because honestly, I
a)      haven’t really figured out what my blog is about to tell someone what I’m looking for in a guest post.
b)      didn’t think it would be fair for me to write someone else’s blog because they wouldn’t gain any readers from me.  (After all, my blog says I have seven followers but being realistic I have maybe two.  Oh wait, my mother may be reading this so, ok three. Doesn’t seem like a fair trade off for someone)
c)      figured I’d be too busy preparing for vacation to really devote a substantial amount of time into today’s post (which turned out to be true) which wouldn’t be fair nor the right thing to do when exchanging

 So, in trying to stick to the day’s theme somewhat, I decided to post about Roz Savage’s blog.  If you’ve never heard of her, I’d highly recommend stopping by her blog.  Talk about someone who is following her dream and is truly inspirational. WOW! 

In a nutshell, she woke up one day in 2000 at the age of 33, evaluated her perfect life with a husband, job, house, and sports car, but wasn’t happy.  She wasn’t fulfilled. 

By 2004 her life had made a complete 180.  She was divorced, living in New York City working as a part time photographer and at one time was homeless. 

A former member of Oxford University Lightweight rowing club, Roz announces that she’s going to row solo across the Atlantic.  HELLO?  Did you catch that?  She’s going to row…as in a row boat, albeit a little souped-up, but still, a friggin’ rowboat...across the Atlantic Ocean!  OCEAN!!!!

Is she nuts?  Many might think so, but she not only completes that goal in 2005-06 rowing 103 days straight from the Canary Islands to Antigua, but then turns around in 2007 and attempts to cross the Pacific Ocean solo.  Bad weather thwarts the 2007 attempt but undaunted, Roz returns in 2008 and completes the first part of this journey – she rows for 99 days from California to Hawaii.  I first learned of Roz during this leg of the Pacific journey and followed her daily blog as she endured, to me what seemed like a nightmare.  But she loved it.

Roz continued her journey in 2009 as stage 2 took her from Waikiki to Tarawa – 104 days at sea.  I watched her daily blog then too.

She just left recently to complete stage 3 – rowing across the Indian Ocean.

I find her to be so inspirational.  She’s rowed over 11,000 miles, taken 3.5 million oar strokes which has caused her to spend nearly a year of her life at sea…in a rowboat people!  OMG!!!

Aside from her goals being crazy in my eyes, she’s an inspiration because she had a dream, gave up nearly everything to go after it and then persevered to make it a reality.  Now, I’m not suggesting that anyone give up everything for their dream.  I can say with absolute certainty that I’d never leave my husband and daughter nor sell my home (or a sports car, if I had one) for any dream I may have, but I still admire Roz’s tenacity and her dedication to a dream she obviously has.

She’s also an environmentalist who believes that we all can make a difference in our world and should.  I love that about her too as well as her personal creed of taking life “one oar stroke at a time.”  Check her out.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment