Saturday, May 21, 2011

Best Vacations Ever and The "Someday"

As I'm ending a vacation week, it has me thinking about past vacations and also some future vacations that I'd like to put on the "someday" list.

Some of the most memorable vacations and activities we've done would have to be:
Haleakala National Park Summit Sunrise Bike and Van Tour - Maui   Quite possibly one of the coolest things I've ever done.  I can't say I enjoyed waking up at 2 a.m. to take the bus to the bicycle company so that we could get suited up and make the drive to the top of the crater, but watching the sun rise over the crater was incredible.  And the bicycle ride down was just plain fun!

Jeep Rental on St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands -  If you want to see this island in all it's natural beauty, a road trip around it in a jeep is a necessity.

Whale Watching Boat Trip - Maui   If you're in Maui in the winter months, a whale watching tour is an absolute must!  It's simply awe-inspiring to see these beautiful creatures up close.  The enormity of their tails as they glide through the ocean with ease is a magical sight to see.

Visit to Crazy Horse Memorial in Black Hills, South Dakota - I first visited Crazy Horse when I was a child while doing a "western" vacation with my family.  Seeing the very basic rock structure some 30 years ago didn't seem like much back then, but now I think it would be interesting to see the progress 30 years later.

Lake Powell near Page, Arizona - I can't say I've seen anything quite like this place.  It's a canyon that's been allowed to fill with water creating a lake.  What makes it so breathtaking are the rock formations that rise out of the water.  We took a short boat tour of the lake, but I'd like to return some day and rent a boat ourselves and spend a day or two just exploring the nooks and crannies of the lake.


Places I'd like to visit on future vacations
Hike in/out of Grand Canyon - I've been to the Grand Canyon twice but have never been with anyone who wanted to hike down in it.  I'd really love to either hike in, spend the night in the bottom and hike out OR white water raft to the bottom and hike out! 

Take a drive up the northeastern coast of Maine - It looks like this area is simply gorgeous, and I'd like to see it.  A bonus would be all the crab and seafood I could eat along the way.

Visit Yosemite National Park and the Redwood National Forest - Two of the few national parks I've never been to in the U.S.

Go to a musical on Broadway (in New York City) - Not sure which musical I'd want to see...maybe my favorite, Wicked, but I think seeing any musical on Broadway would be a special treat.

Go to Paris and see the Eifel Tower - need I really elaborate on this one?

Visit all the memorials and the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. -I was in D.C once around the age of 10 and again on an 8th grade class trip.  I'd just like to go back and see it all again.  I think I'd appreciate it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment