Friday, May 13, 2011

Music feeds the soul!

Editor's note:  WOO HOO!  Blogger is back up!

I love music.  I grew up in a fairly musical family.  My mother and sister played the piano.  My sister also played the violin.  My father loved music too.  He played the guitar and would have his buddies over quite a bit to "jam" in the basement.

The basement was music-central.  I remember spending many, many hours listening to my dad’s record collection, and the few LPs – yes, I’m that old – that my parents bought me.

I never stuck with an instrument long enough to learn to play one well.  I took piano lessons at the age of about seven, but gave up after learning how to read music.  Then I decided I’d play the flute in grade school.  I learned the finger positions for the notes, but could never figure out how to blow across that dang thing to make that angelic sound.  I gave up on that too.

But choir.  Now that’s where I belonged.  I was in choir in elementary school and Showchoir in high school.  I loved to sing, and still do.  I’m one of those freaks that you snicker at as you drive by on the highway because I’m singing at the top of my lungs.  I’ll sing to whatever is on the radio, but I won’t hesitate to put in my all-time favorite CD – the soundtrack from the musical, “Wicked.”  I also love to sing along with “The Little Mermaid,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Rent” soundtracks. 

I thought I’d share this with you today because I’ve been stopping by Radio Nowhere’s blog  where he’s posting his favorite songs.   Loving music as I do, I thought that was a fun blog idea, but it also made me think about how much I love music, and how it can literally change my mood or enhance it. 

For example, when I just want to listen to a song that gets my blood pumping and puts a smile on my face, I listen to OK Go’s “Here it Goes Again.”  The video is a classic too.

Or if I’m really mad, you can’t beat a good hard rock song like, Sammy Hagar’s “I can’t drive 55.” 

Feeling sad?  Sarah McLauchlan’s “When Somebody Loved Me” may send you further into a depression, but it’s a beautiful song.   





Having a great day and just want to celebrate it?  It’s a Perfect Day by Hoku is the perfect song.

Wanting to share an inspirational song with someone.  Try Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband’s “Dream Big.”

Oh I could go on an on, but you get the idea.  Music just feeds the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment