Sunday, May 6, 2012

When life throws you a curve....

Adapting
transitive verb
: to make fit (as for a new use) often by modification

That's the word of the day, and when I stop and think about it, a great word for life. 

I mean, let's face it, not much goes exactly as plan.  No matter how much we pre-plan, plan, analyze, and make lists....mistakes just are made, S*** happens, plans fail, no one is perfect.   But how we ract or "adapt" to those changes, I submit, shows a lot about a person's character.

When things go wrong, we can pout, complain, and get mad, but those reactions don't get us anywhere.  Or...we can take a breath, accept the reality, re-group and "adapt." 

Case in point:  I had planned to write a blog about last night's supermoon.  For you people that love science, Wikapedia says...."A supermoon, is the coincidence of a full moon (or a new moon) with the closest approach the Moon makes to the Earth on its elliptical orbit, or perigee, leading to the technical name for a supermoon of the perigee-syzygy of the Earth-Moon-Sun system."

For the "science-challenged," like me, a supermoon is...well, supposedly, one big moon!  The biggest moon of the year.  Apparently last year's supermoon was the largest in 18 years.

So, last night I awaited the 10:36pm moment when the supermoon would be at its super-biggest, and I went outside to snap photos of it for today's blog.  Actually, I snuck out around 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. hoping to see it at pre-super glory.

Maybe I just had too high expectations, but the supermoon, to me, was just...well, a slightly larger normal moon.  It didn't come close to super-stardom in my eyes.  To top it off, the photos I was able to take weren't good at all.  I was bummed.  And my blog post for today was in ruins.

That's were "adapting" came into play.  I was bummed for all of about a minute, took a deep breath, got over it, and started scrambling for plan B because I'm out-of-town for the weekend.  Luckily I have my iPad with me and have some beautiful photos on it that I took on our trip to Hawaii in January. 

So...lucky you.  Instead of boring supermoon photos today, you can view some of Hawaii's beauty!  Now THAT is adapting!
Big Island shoreline

A view from atop Diamond Head in Oahu
A drive around Oahu
The beauty of the islands
USS Arizona

3 comments:

  1. Great shots of Hawaii. Nice adaptation, too. ;-)

    And isn't that super moon so "big" because it's closer to the earth, so it looks bigger, not because it's actually larger in size? Just wondering...because that's what I'd understood. Anyway, sorry you didn't get your shots of the super moon. I saw it and didn't get any photos of it, either. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. As mentioned on NPR, the "Super Moon" was largely hype. You wouldn't really notice it. P.S., please turn off Captcha for the blogathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told my husband, don't let me forget to go outside and look at the moon. Guess what? I forgot and he forgot to remind me. No moon viewing. By the time I remembered, there were wisps of cloud hiding it.

    Adapting - For a good part of my life, I was a chameleon. I did that to hide so I wouldn't be noticed. Being noticed was a bad thing when I was a kid. Took me a long, long time to shed that part of my life. So, I went from hiding to adapting to living life as it suited me. And guess what? I'm much happier now than I was before. ;-)

    ReplyDelete