Monday, May 7, 2012

Oddly...Julie & Julia inspired me!

It's Blogathon theme day today!  Today's theme is "5 Movies that have inspired my blog or writing." 

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with this theme because I just don't recall many movies after I've seen them.  Ask me to recite a phone number, our bank account numbers, a family member's birth date, where our daughter's purple shirt is located, where the scotch tape was last misplaced, or even a comment my husband made 15 years ago that I disliked, well, I can recall any of that in a hot second.  But ask me about a movie I saw just last week, and I probably can't even tell you the title, let alone the storyline. Strange, but very true.

So while I can't say that any movie inspired the content of my blog or how I write, I can say that one particular movie gave me the idea that I should try blogging.  That movie was Sony Picture's "Julie & Julia." (Buy it on Amazon)
Julie & Julia
I'm sure most will recall this 2009 box office hit that featured Meryl Streep as Julia Child and Amy Adams as Julie Powell, a young writer who works in a job that is unfulfilling.  At the same time, Julie's friends' careers seem to be in full swing - even one has had her blog picked up for a movie production. 

Feeling her life has no meaning, Julie decides to challenge herself by cooking every recipe in Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and blog about her year-long project.

Julie's blog creates some attention and as she increases followers, you can see her entire self-worth blossom.

Paralleling Julie's storyline is Julia Child's life story about the cookbook she writes  that is rejected by one publisher but is finally accepted, in the end, by another.

Julie finally gets her acclaim too when her blog is eventually featured in a story by The New York Times, and she begins to receive attention from the publishing world.

When I first saw this movie, I couldn't help but at first think, "That's funny, that's my name."  Yes, my first name is Julia so it was an odd coincidence. 

My second thought was, "Gee, I should write a blog."  I mean, why not?  I write all day anyway, I have a plethora of topics I could talk about and it sounds like fun.  Can't say that I honestly thought The New York Times would ever write a story about it, but hey, a person can dream, right? :)

Seriously, that movie is what gave me the idea to eventually start blogging a little over a year ago when I ran across Michelle Rafter's blog announcing the 2011 Blogathon.  I didn't even have a blog when I signed up to join the Blogathon last year, but I quickly got onto Blogger and threw a blog together in a few days, just in time for the Blogathon kick-off.  And I'm proud to say that last year I blogged every day for the entire month.

Sadly, my blog hasn't developed quite as Julie Powell's did, but it's still been great fun, and the best part is that I've met some really great people through blogging.  That was an unexpected bonus!  So, I tip my hat to the film industry for producing movies that inspire us all in different ways!





1 comment:

  1. It took her awhile to get get big numbers. Just keep writing and who knows.

    Loved reading your story.

    ReplyDelete