Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Our baby turns 21 today!

Our baby turns 21 today!  Wow.  Besides feeling old, I look at her, and I can’t help but think back to when I was turning 21. 

I remember that time quite well because it was a rather difficult time in my life.  I was midway through my third year of college and still unsure of what my major would be. 

Feeling completely lost, I stumbled into the college’s counselor’s office and told him my story of woe.  The counselor was a wonderful, caring man who helped me to realize that the field of communications is where I belonged.  After that, I was home free.  College was a breeze.  I began posting straight A’s and soon my deplorable GPA was on the rise.

I graduated a year-and-a-half later with not one, but two majors, and a respectable GPA.

On one hand, I think it’s a shame I didn’t seek out guidance earlier in my college years.  I would have found my path sooner which would have saved me a ton of grief – not to mention the stress I gave my parents during those troubling years.

On the other hand, I’m a believer that the trials and tribulations we go through are truly those character building moments.  They define who we are, and although they certainly are difficult to go through at the time, looking back, it’s clear that they are milestones and important battle scars.

No comments:

Post a Comment